Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Phase coherence

When it comes to things audio, phase coherence remains as a concept and not an attainable entity. Coherence means that two signals will have the same frequency, amplitude and phase at the same point in space (spatial coherence) or time (time coherence). The audio world completely ignores the amplitude requirement. But even so, does anyone think that two drivers -say a mid driver and a woofer - producing the same sine wave signal will result in coherent waves? While it is possible to design a crossover which maintains a constant phase difference, it is not possible to build one because of component error. But even so, the drivers are physically incapable of performing this feat. Think of speakers like light bulbs where the light is always incoherent. They are not mono beam lasers.
Some manufacturers offset the acoustic centers of their drivers to compensate for time differences but this has nothing to do with phase.

Nelson Pass wrote an interesting article on phase coherence years ago and even extolled the virtues of the Tympani 1-D and MG IIa but concluded that phase coherent speakers are not achievable (he did not have computerized DSP crossovers at the time but I don't think anything has changed).

"Our head is round in order to allow our thoughts to change direction." Francis Picabia

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.