Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: MMGs + woofers happy together on 03/21/15 (marking event))

For me it took a while - and the idea came to me reading Floyd Toole's book on loudspeakers and Stereo. Use two subs on Left and Right walls approximately at the "Null" points (where the plane of the MMG's extend to the side walls). Toole suggested that two subs are better than one and Three better that two - just from a room mode "Even out" effect.

I've tried this arrangement in Four different electrical configurations: (1) Left and Right signals each going wide band to the MMG's and using a somewhat low Low pass to the subs at 50Hz (MMG's have a bump at 55-60Hz)
(2) Same as above But with a 80Hz Crossover
Note in both these examples I have the ability to adjust the phase of the sub continuously the optimize the measured transition. This is easy to do when you have only the left or right channel activated at one time.
In my situation I believe (2) provide the best overall experience.

I switched the Sub signal to Mono (both subs get the same signal - though phase is individually adjusted between subs. I should tell you that both of my subs are not identical - though both are push pull sealed cabinet designs The Q's of the speakers are slightly different - but the ultimate extension is close. Some would discount the use of different subs in the aspect of anything related to imaging, but from an acoustics standpoint one could argue several benefits.

I could not reliably notices a difference between the Stereo and the Mono Setup. For other reasons, it is simpler to use the dual stereo setup, however for anything going through my AVR the same (Mono) signal is sent to both as well. I do have the option to send signals directly from my preamp or my Oppo BDP103 in stereo wide band to the amps driving MMG's & subs.

"The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat" - Confucius

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: MMGs + woofers happy together on 03/21/15 (marking event)) - BigguyinATL 12:47:39 03/22/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.