Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Magnepan 1.4

I bought my MMGs 2nd hand. In those days I left the banana peel (which they already had) untouched for years because they did not cause audible issues. Later, when I first fixed it...there was no improvement in sound. Then again, I was never hearing buzzes or noises, which you do seem to be getting. (So, try to verify that the noises are from banana peel.)

If you plan to fix the banana peel, make sure to clean the Mylar substrate well with acetone. Use the acetone sparingly because you don't want the acetone to go into other wire areas. Q-tips & thin art brushes help.

But use enough to clean well. The first time I screwed up because I was too fearful to use too much acetone...and cleaned badly. The new E6000 glue eventually gave way and I had to reapply. (Well ok, I was pushing some serious dbs, like close to 110, for tests. Not wise on old Maggies, and mine are from last century...)

The 2nd time, once horizontal, I slanted the MMGs a little more downward on the side to be treated. I was able to use acetone without fear. Any minor excess could then roll toward the frame instead of the wires...not that I used too much anyway.

On your question about upgrading parts, it is hard to be sure. I'll give you a perspective. Hopefully, other will soon add theirs and you may be able to derive your best strategy.

I bought my MMGs fully intending to bi-amp them AND to do this at line level (which I did within months). However, I knew that I would first need to "learn" their "personality" as a native design. I never regretted the patience this required. In the process, there was an unexpected develop...err, predictable stupidity.

I blew the original crossovers up while I was still deciding on the final "new xover". The parts were so old that I, hmmm, I abused them (an old habit of mine). To do this kind of thing, Telarc's recordings of Tchaikovsky's 1812 cannons have served me well for decades, since their first such, which was a LP. The newer SACD is just as effective, LOL! So, I did rebuild the native crossover though I did not originally want to.

Anyway, this rebuilding to "original crossover specs" did reveal that, yeah, some of the original parts had been "dated". More than anything, it was the caps, not the coils. That said, the use of better-rated coils did help much also. If it gets to this, many of us can show you good alternatives. BTW, the link below is to the 1.4 xover schematics, in the MUG archives. I would not rush it, though.

What I want to stress, is that learning your likes/dislikes relative to these Maggies at this stage may help you choose what upgrades to pursue first.

Edits: 03/19/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.