Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Microphone recommendation

Hi Steve! I have two Behringer ECM8000 and one Dayton EMM-6, all with their individual calibration files. However, one of the Behringer mics fell on a bare floor and became erratic...the Dayton has taken similar punishment and kept going.

These above are all XLR and require the phantom power supply. They can be bought for <$100 professionally calibrated. In fact, Cross-Spectrum supplies the Dayton EMM-6 with their own great "basic" custom calibration for about $75. OTOH, Dayton offers the same mic for about 50 bucks, with a quite decent calibration included. Dayton's offer is more than enough for most home audio measurements. Perhaps important for the DCX, if a calibration file can't be loaded, it is very likely that these mics are linear enough anyway.

Ironically, one can get a decent-enough calibrated microphone for <20 bucks. I have tried a couple of the Dayton iMM-6. One is now elsewhere, reading tests that we will show here soon. The other is at home, as backup if my main gear flames out suddenly. This model lacks the S/N ratio of the larger models but the ones that I tried were clean enough. These inexpensive little suckers are also very sensitive. Just this weekend one of them "heard" things that we missed while doing some sweeps with REW. The iMM-6 works on PCs, laptops, Android devices and iThings. There is some audio software that can use its calibration file. However, this mic is not XLR; the DCX 2496 may not be able to use one?

There is a Dayton USB mic, uMM-6. I have not tested it myself but it is getting good reviews also. (I hardly think that the DCX 2496 could use it but some folks may need one for other hardware.)

Let me know if you need more detail. Good luck!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.