Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Analysis Audio versus Magnepan

I think the basic difference between the 20.1 and Tympani IVa performance is in the midrange and tweeter - where spatial performance is created - the 3 panels can be oriented to have the lower mids covered by the mid and bass and the upper mids/low treble produced by mids and tweeter to be time aligned at a variety of angles. The MG20.1 can only be time aligned at one toe in angle fairly close to face forwards, which may not be a favorable one for the backwave reflections providing good ambiance. The time alignment has an impact on the size of the soundstage and on image precision.

The TIVa midrange compresses at lower volumes than does the midrange of the 20.1 so provides a better dynamic performance. Also useful is the extension of the bottom end cuttoff of the midrange in the 20.1 to an octave lower.

I use a line of Neo8 drivers to replace the mids of my TIV which allows the mids to operate down to a bit over 200hz and up into the top octave. The Neo8 is far more dynamic and precise than the TIVa and 20.1 midrange.. In one successful arrangement the XO is a symmetrical 1st order and the panels are time aligned. XO is at 275 and 6 khz and the imaging is the best I have ever heard on any system. A somewhat less successful arrangement in this regard is the Limage setup for Tympani with great bass but difficult time alignment issues which I solved by having the bass rolled off at LR4 and kept the mid HP filter appx at 100hz (while output does not come into play till an octave higher up) and dropped the LP filter entirely. Then I XO the tweeter as a supertweeter at appx 11Khz (I tried both 1st order which is better for clarity and a low q 5th order which is better for imaging).

The dispersion of the TIVa bass panels in the upper bass in multiple directions is a contributor to the sense of envelopment.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Analysis Audio versus Magnepan - Satie 11:17:33 03/17/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.