Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Sorry, Barry - I didn't make myself as clear as I should've ...

When I said "delaying the woofers" - I meant delaying the Maggie bass panels, to match the delay inherent in the sub drivers.

And if the Maggie bass panels are delayed ... the mids & ribbons must follow.

I believe you when you say "An 80Hz, 2nd order crossover frequency has an inherent group delay of about 3.125ms equivalent to 3.5ft.". I would ideally like a 24dB slope but:

* I know this produces more delay ... and the miniDSP unit I would like to use has a maximum delay of only 7ms - so a 24dB slope may not be feasible. :-((

* to make the situation worse, my subs will be 3-4' further away from my ears than the bass panels - so it would seem we are already up to ~6.25mS, using 12dB slopes @ 80Hz!

To keep to 24dB, the guy who builds the subs - who will be installing them and has the equipment to tailor and measure the DSP setup - will try increasing the XO frequency to, say, 120Hz (which I understand will not be a problem, in terms of the directionality of low bass, due to the symmetric sub placement and the fact that the subs are relatively close to the bass panels) ... but this may still not produce a low-enough delay ... so I may have to move to 12dB slopes.

Regards,

Andy

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.