Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: "adding cone woofers for use under 40Hz with my modded MMGs." ...

Very similar to the path I have just embarked on, JBen. :-))

After 20+ years of Maggie ownership, I will be adding a pair of 15", custom-made sealed subs to increase my enjoyment of Bach organ music ... and Yello! This won't be happening until November this year - when we move into our new house (the joinery in the listening room for all the equipment / LP storage has an 18" wide space at each front corner, for the subs to hide). So far all I have done is pay a deposit - and ask a lot of questions of the maker.

Answers to these Qs have resulted in a new paradigm for my active Maggies - moving from 3-way analogue active XO to 4-way digital active XO (the '4th way' controls the subs). The sub maker uses either a miniDSP unit or a Behringer 2496 to provide the sub LP / bass panel HP filters. These also provide delay for the bass panels ... to match up with the subs (who have an intrinsic delay resulting from the slope used and the plate amp driving the Dayton Ultimax drivers).

If you delay the woofers ... you have to delay the mids & ribbons by the same amount - so, unfortunately it's out with the analogue XO and in with a digital XO! :-(( For someone who is wedded to vinyl, this need serious consideration! ;-))

However, one thing that pushed me over the edge was that both the miniDSP unit and the DCX2496 will also provide room correction - which is always a good thing for <200Hz.

Regards,

Andy

PS: I will be posting at the end of the year, when the subs are in and configured.

Edits: 03/16/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.