Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Analysis Audio versus Magnepan

Hello Norman,
The Tympani iva has three separate panels. One for the mid planar and ribbon tweeter, one for upper bass, and one for lower bass. The mg20.1 uses one larger panel and places the lower and upper bass and mid planers in the same panel along with the ribbon tweeter. According to magnepan the basic planar panels are improved, the structural support of the panels is improved, the crossover is improved, and the ribbon voiced to solve brightness issues. At the same time the bass panels have less area and the panels are not as free from the enclosure as in the tympani iva. Although I agree the mg20.1 has improved the basic sound the mg20.1 lost two characteristics of the tympani iva, soundstage and palpability (can't explain this but the tympani iva has a certain you are there feeling). Thinking that this could be the 3 panel config and crossovers of the tympani iva I wanted to recreate the configuration using the improved mid/highs of the mg20.1. I basically am trying to recreate the tympani configuration with the current improved mid panels and ribbon tweeters.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.