Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: My tastes are greatly varied but I can say...

Sorry, Chris, LOL! On Tuesday evening I got too confident. Even after a long trip I thought that some pleasing music would still keep me going for a few hours. I reheated dinner while I warmed up the amps with Ray playing. Ate my chow fast and then sat to listen to the rest of Ray's enjoyable CD, then on to the Brazil gang. Their whole Verve-origin disc, I have in 2 digital versions; not LP anymore but hi-rez enough. I went through both of them, out of sheer pleasure.

OTOH, the British combo ramained untouched, cloistered in their abbey until Friday evening because their time was postponed. I was listening to the spacious Girl from Ipanema for a 3rd time, when Morpheus began his song and dance. The last thing I remember was "watching" the girl as she sang to me from my neighbor's aparment, on the other side of the right side wall.

Which is to say, Maggies do that if allowed. They project image and give it 3D substance. In many cases it can be "looked at", you can turn your head to something and it stays in place, "erasing" walls on all sides, if need be.

Darn, yes, that saxophone comes up clear and substantially textured, usually solid in the middle. No wall needs to be erased for it. So, your Stan/Getz LP may serve us well as a reference for this kind of thing. It may also show good bass by some MMGs alone in some rooms but this is a little harder to tune for. I left the woofers off all the time but my MMGs have uncommon tweaks that use the room to their "bass advantage". [Not all rooms are so helpful but I suspect that yours could be, later on perhaps.]

We probably have opportunities for improvement in key areas like room placement, playback electronics, cabling, electromagnetic interactions and power conditioning. It may sound like a lot. Luckily, low-hanging fruit is usually plentiful and low cost.

For example, Russ rightly mentioned the proximity to the wall behind them, which ain't good for Maggies. See what you can afford to do. A few inches? A foot or two? Four feet+ works great but you may not have them in the current layout. Another room config, with the MMGs on a short wall? The point is, let's try some thinking outside the proverbial box. That said, MMGs "could" be made to work better even if forced to be close to the wall. Yet, every inch away from it that you can afford will make things easier and sweeter.

Those two questions that you ask at the end may come into play later. Unless we find that some of your current gear is well out of their typical specs, you should be fine with it for now. Even using the resistors that came with the MMGs will not fix what you now dislike.

Here are a couple more things that you may want to look into soon, aside from positionings in the room. The full list is much longer but these may smooth out sound, improve imaging and/or make it more dynamic/peppy.
-- Signal cables on clean paths? ...not close to power cords, transformers, walwarts, etc.
-- Power cords 14ga or thicker? Even 16ga may not allow some components to do their best dynamics. You certainly want the power amps AND the CD player to be "well fed". No need for expensive cables. If you need new ones, go for shielded power cords. I think <$20 for each can still be found.
-- At least a half-decent power conditioning setup. So-called "level 1" and equivalents are barely adequate but usually better than nothing.
-- Importantly, watch what things share the audio system's power circuit. Dedicate a circuit (breaker) or two solely for it, if you can. Those walwarts for our iThings, computers, Androids, etc. can be murderous. The fridge, A/C and any induction motor (except turntable) can be outright criminal also.
-- A PC or laptop for music is great IF things are done right. The topic is long, very long, by itself. I can't cover it here right now. For now, my concern is the interference they can cause. Experimentally, listen to music from the turntable WHILE the computer & DAC are OFF/ON to compare. (Of course, it other crappy noisy things, like a fridge, are still in the circuit...)

On all these above, the worst thing is that we often fail to see what is usually right in front of our noses.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: My tastes are greatly varied but I can say... - JBen 00:04:00 03/12/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.