Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Dang, you just never know - off topic and long

Simply awesome who we run into, and their past in the musical world.

My story:
Only until I *finally* got into the high end of audio and started playing real jazz - like Fats, and Dave Brubeck - did I find out from my dad that he actually got to lead out Dave on piano (while my dad was on his sax) one time when he was just a student. My dad always seemed to have a lot of saxs and other horns in one closet when I was young but he never really told us kids just why. [The very rare times when he played he would cry afterward.] He took jazz/sax when in high school from Dave's older brother (Dwayne?). Dave stopped by one day to see his brother's class wearing wool army gloves cut off at the fingers. When he played he kept those gloves on. This was around 1947 or so. My dad was into the jazz scene (jazz combo of his own, and going to Coleman Hawkins concerts and all while in high school) until he was accepted into Pharm. school at Univ. of Colorado. Music and jazz ended then, and then he met my mom soon after that and really headed off into another direction (25+ years at Parke Davis and Co., Detroit as a Director/manager).

My dad mentioned out of the blue the very first time he heard my "first" high end system (c. 2004) "... I really wonder just where I would be today if I had still been with jazz..."

Finally, one of the last times my parents were able to fly they ran into Dave and his wife who were on the same flight back home to CA. Dave mentioned "nice to see you again" to my dad after a brief chat. Real life is stranger than fiction.

Happy Listening,

robss

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Dang, you just never know - off topic and long - robss 20:52:02 03/10/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.