Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: IF You own 20.1's and you biamp

First, you cannot damage the woofers. I recall when I first discovered Magnepan in the late 70's my dealer said you could plug the woofer into the wall and just get a very loud 60 Hz hum. I didn't take him up on it but there it is. Insane listening levels can damage cone woofers because of the heat generated in the coil but the Magnepan driver dissipates heat much better than a voice coil and is pretty much immune.
Like Macmagman, I run my bi-amped IIIa's full and use a Rel Strata III sub that has a 2nd order LP filter set at 32 hz. The Maggie bass is great and the sub is just to extend to 20 Hz. There is no need to cut it off.
One advantage of active biamping, which is not often mentioned, is that it protects the tweeters. Basically the tweeters are damaged when clipping occurs. With a single amp, when clipping occurs -- usually due to the high power demands of the low frequency signal -- the tweeter suffers. With active biamping, even if you manage to get the woofer amp to clip the tweeter is isolated and unaffected.

"Our head is round in order to allow our thoughts to change direction." Francis Picabia

Edits: 03/10/15 03/10/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.