Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: P 5 bass management to biamp 4 channels?

Pix, to be sure, I have a regularly shaped room, which as you know makes things more practical. Now, I launched this "woofers project" of mine a few weeks ago. Even though I am testing several configurations, I still expected that a dual (stereo L/R) sealed woofers set would prove best. So far, that is being the case; when music is the ONLY, "uncompromised" goal.

However, for this to be unequivocally evident, each woofer HAS to be aiming forward, AND placed at the plane of its corresponding MMG or close enough. (With no space to the MMG sides, in my case "close enough" is right in front of each MMG, <1" separation. It works because each sealed enclosure is 6" deep [14x17x6]. Unhappily, with this frontal placement...hmmm...I am having nightmares on achieving the "WAF-required parameters" :-))

Importantly, it is not so much the strength "bass" itself, which would come easily. It is the seamless joint clarity and the ability to resolve instrumental textures down the frequency scale as ONE speaker. These are clearly better when on discreet bass L/R signals. Admittedly, I have not yet reached a point where I prefer the combo to my MMGs playing alone in all cases. Yet, it is a surprising that I seem to be so close to it, this soon into the process.

Comparisons are reliably made because I have parallel, level-matched feeds. While listening, I can cleanly switch on the fly to a summed bass signal -- which BTW is still FAR better than any subwoofer I've tried with music -- and back to a stereo bass.

When I get a couple of practical options defined I'll post some reference & pointers. This whole kind of thing needs to be tailored to individual situations...right, what else is new. Meanwhile, yesterday's tests were rather encouraging both in sound and in measurements. Here's a L/R sweep of a config that will require just a little more polishing to be made a "keeper". Of course, it is the little things that kill us...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: P 5 bass management to biamp 4 channels? - JBen 07:57:31 03/06/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.