Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: This is an absolutely stunning sounding setup.

Pix, it would not surprise me, at all. I have the HCA-1000A (A23's previous version, but no MOSFET) driving the tweeters. The mid/bass driver is moved by a HCA-1500A. In the PLLXO bi-amp, they now both work great together to do their neat dog & pony show; quite sweetly.

It was not always so. Since the 1000A came a bit "mal-adjusted" when I bought them both used, the little thing got all my TLC and tweaking devotion. The poor 1500A got no love...left totally stock because it was working well enough (as in "impressive").

Then one day I had no tweaks scheduled but lots of free hours. The "mad-tweaker" in me (lol!) got loose. I decided to have the 1000A show duties on the mid/bass driver. (The Denon AVR took over the tweeter because its impedance is the same, whereas the 1500A would have required changes to the PLLXO to do the tweeter right).

With its new caps and higher bias, the 1000A did a jaw-dropping act on the bass. The dynamics and slam were better still than the (un-modded)1500A did at times. The 1000A only lost its textural integrity and sweetness when driven into the power range that the 1500A commands...and that was still LOUD ENOUGH.

Which means that your A23s could easily be helping drive some stunning sound these days!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.