Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: I've been enjoying my wood frames for a few years now.

Costs involved for minimal return prevent Magnepan from going to this 'model'.
I've devoted some thought to this and the additional equipment for the woodshop part of things, the additional EXPERTISE and supply problems not to mention the fact that while a certain % of buyers would want OAK, others would want Sapelle or perhaps Walnut or some of the REAL exotics.
Turnaround would than be an issue. Maggie CAN'T stock the amount of wood in the variety of species needed unless they kept it down to 2 or MAYBE 3 of the 'top sellers'.
Wood can be funny to work with, too. I don't envy the craftsman having to do fine woodworking with it 20 BELOW outside and you have to SHIP the final product to a warmer clime. Shrink? Swell? Warp? SPLIT? All are real problems with wood when changing climates.

Than you open the REAL can of worms. Crossover? Parts choice, build quality and MORE work for the inevitable EXTERNAL crossovers needed when you go to premium (large) caps and AIRCORE inductors.

I have suggested the 'custom shop' approach but get little traction and can understand why.

And yes, Magnepan makes fine speakers at what amounts to a commodity price.
Too much is never enough

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: I've been enjoying my wood frames for a few years now. - pictureguy 10:52:01 03/05/15 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.