Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: "Hardwoods are not necessarily 'hard' " ...

PG might still be a bone of contention. I'm not going into detail. My interactions with the guy were always reasonable. However, I can see how he bent some personas the wrong way.
That being said, he made a certain sense to me from the standpoint of materials. I don't agree with all his conclusions AND upon inspection of 2 sets of his panels, also do NOT agree with some of his construction techniques and choices. I'll say no more.

I have some ideas of my own, concerning NO metal in the frame, low mass / high rigidity and use of wood. I'd LOVE to try bamboo! No screws thru the drivers and use of CLAMPS for that function while I have an idea for FLOATING the driver in the frame while still being in very firm contact. This will allow for expansion / contraction and no warp. Somebody mentioned the pole piece and that set off another round of thought and a design target. I'll not go into details since this will result in more trod-upon toes. The last feaure is the frame is NOT square but rather a truncated shape ALA Apogee. I will include an image of THAT here and now, but this doens't even quite match my final design.

Dealing with REAL wood in a production shop making box speakers must be a nightmare. You are at the MERCY of suppliers of quality wood, tooling, WEATHER and finding hi-end and dedicated help. No thanks!

Too much is never enough

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.