Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Ah, there it is...

Thanks for the kind comments Cory. As you probably figured, I molded my Maggies after the "Gunned" ones or "Magnestands" I thought that esthetically they were a piece of art, and the comments by owners confirmed my suspicions with the sound. I did my best to come as close as I could,
I later started building guitars, but that has been interrupted by my moving to a new apartment...no room for all the power tools. I was building electrics. Learned a lot though and ended up with a real nice tele style made from "mystery wood". It sounds great, so one never knows what the final outcome of an instrument like a guitar or a pair of speakers, will be, and I do believe that when they are used like inmates here use them, then they come at least close to being instruments. We "play" them, modify and even build them, tweak them, play with sonic characteristics, etc. Perhaps if we started thinking of speakers as fine instruments that need tuning...well the results might be different. It takes a lot of experience to get these things sounding good, and I think that some inmates here are artists in their own right.
My Maggies are also coupled to the floor with spikes, and I do believe that it makes quite a difference.
As to the crossover, you are the first in any of my posts to state what you said about the DCX2496. It does have quite a following, plus one can put way more money into modding it than it costs. I also had a TDM active crossover similar to your Ashley. When I replaced it with the DCX I noticed an immediate improvement that was quite significant...when I add the Tympani's back into the mix, it can only get better. There is a pair of T-IV's on eBay for about 2000. hmmmm. Maybe in the future. I would love to also add a row of Neo-8's, and just use them and the tweeter, as I do hold with the belief that separate panels are better. When I use just the mids and tweeters with T-1 D's, well about all I can say is WOW! Satie thought that it would be viable to use an extra amp I have for the IIIa bass, and go four way. I was thinking of adding a MiniDSP for the fourth split. What I don't quite get is how would I connect my Sunfire TGP-5 to the crossovers? Right now I am using the two main outs to the DCX, so how does one add an additional channel? Is using the surround outs possible?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Ah, there it is... - computerman 15:05:11 03/04/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.