Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Crown Amps part 2

You can always do some kind of tube stage before the amp. I have found a high gain preamp works best on my 1500s. Which allows a lower gain setting on the Crowns that reduces the bit of hiss you may get from them. I'm at 12 o'clock on the amps, hiss is inaudible > 6" from speakers.

They are said to need at least 200 hours break-in, maybe more. Try using some sort of vibration isolation under them, I use a homegrown recipe of cedar pucks, sticky cork, and Sorbothane Half Hemispheres under mine (see above). If you want to really get tweaky, try mass loading the tops. If you don't like the blue display blaring out at ya, cover it with a 1-5/8" piece of electric tape.

If you do decide to keep the amp, replace the stock binding posts with Pomonas 3770-0/2, it is an easy bolt on replacement and reversible for warranty reasons.

Leave the amp on 24 / 7. It pulls very little current on standby so no biggie. The amps supposedly benefit from a power cord upgrade, I haven't gone there yet.

Edits: 03/04/15 03/04/15 03/04/15 03/04/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.