Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Nice find JBen...here is one of my Favorites...

Mark, thank you for bringing this one up. Last weekend I saw the movie, (Leaving Las Vegas) for the first time ever. Leaving its music aside for a moment, despite the long length of the movie and this being a heavy drama, the superb acting made it easy to enjoy. So much so, that I became curious and checked IMDB.com. I was then NOT surprised to learn that Mr Cage got an Oscar for his acting on this movie. Well deserved! Elizabeth Shue's performance was great also.

Now, like you said, the movie's music was really good. So, I quickly ordered the CD, which arrived yesterday. At first, the CD was a major disappointment. I hate it when they include dialogs from a movie in the soundtrack CD. However, the CD does have the musical jewels that I coveted from watching the movie!

Foremost among them, I fell in love with the clarinet as recorded in "Bossa Vega". They captured a delightfully textured reed instrument and a beautiful tune to go with it.

Sting's "Angel Eyes" and "My One and Only Love" were other favorites of mine when watching the movie and the CD presents them very well. They both bring an odd melancholic sweetness to the movie, and as stand alone pieces they remain very, very engaging. They easily drag my mood into a "Blade Runner" bittersweet state of mind. I replayed them several times.

From the start, "Angel Eyes" also features the bass, played both bowed and plucked, with some delicious textures captured in the recording. My CD player is not yet connected the new woofers. All the music was played with the MMGs (only). Yet, the minute this piece's bass starts, these modded MMGs deliver the delightful textures at very decent -- though not full-volume -- levels. Clearly, there's more volume to be had. So, later on, this particular piece may serve me well to test the new woofers' ability to retain bottom frequency textures while at a higher SPL.

A few of my favorite pieces in the CD usually also have a rich-sounding piano, ear candy to me. This was more so in Sting's pieces. When piano recordings are well made, Maggies can tell. It is not just the piano's tone, texture and presence but also -- if present in recording -- harmonic richness. In the album, the piano is not usually the "main player" yet it always was recorded with care.

One surprisingly "slammy" piece was "Biker Bar". This one can be used to demonstrate how dynamic and bass-rich stand-alone Maggies can really be.

In a few days I plan to copy a few of these pieces to the computer. This way I can upsample them to 192/24 and also play them with/without the new woofers.

Of course, copying the favorites to the PC also means that I can more easy replay them over and over. So, thanks again for the input!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Nice find JBen...here is one of my Favorites... - JBen 22:39:55 03/01/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.