Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Around the World in 80 Days...on planars

This Friday evening turned out to be a really nice one. It began with listening to a new CD before reinstalling some woofers that I am testing. The CD is really of old music, as is the recording. Here's why I got it.

On Superbowl day, the movie "Around the World in 80 Days" was playing on cable TV. Dating from the mid fifties, my mother took me to see it when I was about age 4. I barely remember and I never saw the movie again, until Feb 1. My delight was so great, that we continued watching it for hours until about the Superbowl halftime break.

As I recently told a friend, beyond the joy of watching Cantinflas and Larry Niven, the surprise was how many nice snippets of beautiful music there are in this movie. The main theme has always been well known. However, the many segments of other music surprised me by being not just tuneful but also well recorded, beautiful music. The instrumental textures were captured so fully at times that they kept me actually not watching the movie as much as listening to it. This happens to me often when movies have great music...but this one even made me miss part of the Superbowl!

Anyway, I then looked up the composer (Victor Young, who died shortly before getting his Oscar for it) on the Web and also sent for the soundtrack CD. This was with low expectations because many soundtrack CDs often lack the quality of what was on the movie.

The CD, in fact, is not quite like the movie. It is FAR better still. Sure, it shows its age in some ways but any pair of good planar speakers should easily display many of its delightful charms. If my pair of MMGs delivered the goods alone so impressively, larger Maggies could well deliver a musical treasure trove. The CD adds a larger (wall-erasing) soundstage and even some nice imaging in it vs the movie soundtrack.

Yet, it is the beautiful music, the many well-captured textures and the sumptuous tonal fullness, even deep bass, that may charm the most. If you like orchestral music, get a copy of it.

The evening then brought the new woofers back on for testing. This also went really really well, but that's work in progress for later.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Topic - Around the World in 80 Days...on planars - JBen 22:49:17 02/20/15 (5)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.