Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Amplifiers do sound different

Bob Carver & Stereophile proved that, as he adjusted the transfer functions of his amplifiers to match - well - whatever he wanted. The loudspeaker load and dynamics also are involved. Back around 1981 or so I was second jobbing at a hi-fi store. A customer wanted to compare 100Watt Amplifiers - SAE and the APT Holman One with his loudspeakers (Rectilinears). In our store the APT almost always bested or at least matched the SAE with the B&W, JBL, McIntosh, DCM loudspeakers we offered - but with the customer's Rectilinears the APT was not up to the SAE performance. Of course - the customer didn't but the SAE from me - he walked out and saved $50 by using Mail order :b

As for Magneplanars - they are inherently inefficient but are capabile of good dynamics if you give them lots of power. 300 Watt minimum even for the lowly MMG's I use.

"The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat" - Confucius

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.