Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: What has been your amplifier (s) journey?

Each of the amplifiers I've used would receive a 5 star (perfect rating). I either purchased and used a different amplifier because one couldn't deliver the current to drive a newer version Maggie, (change from 8 ohm to 4 or 3 ohms resistance, no zero audio autoformer back then) or to satisfy my curiosity as to the performance/sound of a different amplifier. That said, 40 years ago two bridged (tubed) ARC D-76As performed and sounded no differently than either a GAS Ampzilla or two bridged Adcom GFA-555s, when driving a Tympani 1C. That was the case even when playing Telarc 1812 canons pretty loud. (I should qualify that because one of my 555s went up in flames and smoke in doing so. The kind folks working at Adcom customer service quickly replaced that amp, free of charge. I wonder whether or not Bryston today would do the same under their 20 year warranty. I don't intend putting to any test even if Magnepan was willing to refurbish my Tympani IV-A free of charge.)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.