Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Help! Emotiva XPA-2 vs. Adcom 5500 with MMG's?

Hi friends,

Newer to the forum - looking for some insight before I take the plunge on a purchase...

I got a pair of MMG's about 6 months ago - I have an Adcom 5500 II powering them. I bought that amp in advance as I knew I was going to get some MMG's (based on reviews) and needed something with some power (at a reasonable price) to run them - found a guy on my area that had one for a good deal so I went for it.

I also picked up an Emotive USP-1 locally as well for a decent pre-amp (was using an old Kenwood c1 preamp previously).

So far I think the Adcom seems to drive the speakers well - However, I have this feeling like others are getting something "better" out of their listening than me with the MMG's, with similar "level" equipment.

Recently I've found a few positive reviews of the XPA-2 with MMG's - I've also seen few threads where people seem have an "ok" opinion of the Adcom - which is similar to how I feel.. like.. not bad, but maybe should / could be better??

So.. I'm wondering - hoping - that maybe one of you has had the same equipment and could lend some opinion as I just found a local resource for an XPA-2 (craigslist) and would be buying this thing, hoping / thinking it will sound better than the Adcom.

Any chance someone has heard the XPA-2 and the Adcom and can tell me if it will be a noticeable upgrade? Sadly I will have no way of knowing before I buy.

Any / all opinions welcome - thanks!!
Chris M
"You don't get harmony when everybody sings the same note."

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Help! Emotiva XPA-2 vs. Adcom 5500 with MMG's? - FIGURE 8 18:52:39 02/18/15 (31)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.