Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Update on the 3.7 crossover that was listed on Ebay.

There was nada interest in the crossovers - no surprise as they are of no use to anyone and the parts are too low quality to make them of interest to the salvage guys.
I did contact the seller about providing the inductor values including DCR and the measured driver impedances. Basically the seller makes a living developing custom crossovers and felt that his effort to measure these parmeters was too valuable to just give away. Ok.
He did re-design the series crossover to a parallel configuration for a 3rd party who was planning to make an active triamp setup at some time. He said he used premium parts in the design. This made no sense to me if the goal was to go to an active xo, but what do I know.
And as far as "what do I know" the seller said that converting the series XO to a parallel configuration was rocket science that has not easily done and could not be found in any "crossover handbooks". So even if he provided the values, I would not be able to duplicate the slopes of the original filters. I made no response to those remarks but I bet he is wrong.
In any case, if he ever sells the crossover (which also includes the schematic, part values, crossover points, and Bode diagram), he will then provide me with the values as they will then be available on the internet "in short order."

BTW, he now has them listed on Canuck Audio Mart for $200. Still no interest after 8 days. He includes this blurb which was almost the same language he used in his response to my inquiry.

"Please do not ask me to forward a schematic prior to sale -it took a considerable amount of time to measure the response to each of the Magnepan elements with a Real Time Analyzer, measure component values of the crossover itself, and draft it all out as a CAD drawing. You will not find this schematic anywhere online, nor will Magnepan make it available to you. It is a series topology 3-way passive crossover network, rarely used in the industry - there are no mathematical calculators I am aware of determine the information I am supplying with this item."

"Our head is round in order to allow our thoughts to change direction." Francis Picabia

Edits: 02/16/15 02/16/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Topic - Update on the 3.7 crossover that was listed on Ebay. - neolith 12:30:14 02/16/15 (3)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.