Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: "The T-IVa and the 20.1 ... basically have the same tweeter ribbon driver" ...

About the various ribbons. Originally there was a wide 3 ohm ribbon (like in my T-IVa). This was replaced by a wide 2 ohm ribbon + resistor. Maybe this to was to increase the reliablity of the ribbon? Since quite a few years, there is a narrow 3 ohm ribbon. The steel core is the same but the magnets are thicker, the slot between the magnets is about 5 mm. The older ones had a slot about 7 mm wide. Theoreticly it should be possible to use a narrow ribbon in the wide slot but sensitivity will be lower than for the ones with thicker magnets. The difference in length is 0.6", my T-IVa and my MG 3.6 have different ways of connecting them at their ends. The replacement 2 ohm ribbons have the later type of connecting blocks used today. The replacement 2 ohm ribbon came with a strange recommendation to insert the series resistor ahead of the crossover, would give a different frequency response. I think, the resistor needs to sit after the crossover just ahead of the ribbon driver. Of course, one could also use a different crossover, something like the ones used in the 20-series.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: "The T-IVa and the 20.1 ... basically have the same tweeter ribbon driver" ... - Roger Gustavsson 23:29:02 02/15/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.