Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: rebuilt tympani

Having done the mod you are thinking of and having compared to a 20.1 though in a different setting and with way more expensive gear on the 20.1, I can say that the Tympani/Neo8 was far superior in every aspect, I have not heard the 20.7 yet but I have done the Tympani/Neo8 with a first order XO (passive line level) and had no coherence issues and with an equidistant arc arrangement I got the best imaging I heard ever. The Tympani bass was definitely better than the 20.1, particularly below 40-50 hz. The midbass was more powerful on the T IV/Neo8.

you can do the Tympani/Neo8 for so much less than a used 20.7 and you can use a medium powered parallel SET since the mids will be about 96db and the ribbon is 90-91 db sensitive on its own. But you will need a 2 ohm tap to work the Neo8/ribbon section since the ribbon is <3 ohms.

Push pull DHTs can also do it with their extra power and sound fantastic on maggie ribbons. Audion and Border patrol amps and similar designs should do well, our Davy from the UK just did a Silver Night PP amp on the top section of his IIIa and was floored by the SQ and those are nowhere near as sensitive as the Neo/Ribbon combo would be.

The Marchand tube XO is what I would have taken had my budget stretched that far, but it cost 3X the SS one so I let it go and eventually went all passive line level.

Your SS Krell amps should be able to control the bass panels and have ample power into 4 ohms.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.