Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Planar headphones

"The reason I like stronger magnets is that if the driver/pole piece spacing stays the same, sensitivity should go UP."

Yes, that is true. You can also use a thinner conductor. Then the sensitivity remains the same. A lower moving mass driver and that can be useful for higher frequencies.

"If you increase spacing, sensitivity should go down, but the possible EXCURSION of the diaphragm should be increased. That should help bass a lot."

As you also mention the lack of elasticity of the Mylar, it will counteract larger excursion in a Magneplanar driver. In any driver with a streched film like Mylar, there is a very limited linear excursion possible. There is no suspension built-in allowing for larger excursions. Bruce Thigpen of Eminent Technolgy experimented with a more elastic diaphragm in his drivers. I contacted him a few years ago on the subject. Apogee made a longer stroke driver and nowdays Analysis does.

The way the Mylar is fastend to the spacers, a lot of energy is transfered to the baffle/frame. I have been holding the bass drivers in my hand while playing some low frequency signals... Yes, it really shakes! There may be different ways of absorbing these forces. Personally I do not believe hard wood is any better than MDF. Static mass is needed, 1000 times the moving mass would be fine.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.