Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Cragslist Maggie Followup

How far out are they positioned from the front wall? Do you have them at least four feet out?

I am not arguing that Maggie's are bass monsters (they aren't), but to get decent quality and quantity I find it requires that I do two things. First, get the speakers at least four feet out (my IIIa's are currently four feet out and my 3.7i's in a different room are 8 feet out.*). Second, I find there is only one optimal sweet seating spot based upon the position of the speakers. For example at four feet out in one room, the bass only works when the chair is about 115 inches from the rear wall. At eight feet, the seating spot needs to be 45 inches from the rear wall. I also have a pair of non planar speakers, and the optimal seating location is again different as is the optimal position of the speaker to the front wall.

Long winded way of saying that to get the best bass you will need to experiment with seating and distance of speaker to FW. Hopefully this is also a location where everything else sounds good too (in my experience the speakers get smoother and more relaxed as up you move them out, MUCH better depth and soundstage but they can loose a bit of snap if taken out too far).

*Note: in my room if I get much beyond four feet, the bass gets inconsistent and I supplement and smooth it with DWMs.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Cragslist Maggie Followup - Swamis Cat 12:38:36 02/02/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.