Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: update on the Al Sekela tweak

GL, I am very glad that you may keep exploring the tweak's potential.

Before I discovered Al's chokes, Dawnrazor had been bugging me to try Taz's capless tweak (archives in MUG). At that stage early in 2009, I was about to build my first PLLXO bi-amp. However, I had not yet decided on xover points and slopes. So, I figured, what the hell, let's try the darn capless tweeter thing while I decide other things. Who knows what else I'll learn.

Well, the whole exploratory exercise was an eye opener. For all its disadvantages, the capless tweak did show two great things. One was that the QR tweeter in my MMGs could sound almost like a ribbon tweeter (it is different from later MMGs).

The other discovery was as significant. When in "capless tweeter" mode, I had imaging improvements which vanished with any other type of xover mode. [Yet, I could not keep "capless tweeter" much longer. ]

That's when I bumped into postings describing what Al Sekela's chokes delivered for ribbon tweeter Maggies. I recognized these descriptions as if they were MY OWN! It made sense. In "capless tweeter" mode, there is an inductor in the tweeter's circuit...and the choke is an inductor. The rest is history.

So, a decision to explore further led me to unsuspected good discoveries, which often happens to many of us. Furthermore, the basic descriptions provided by several folks about the chokes were tremendously useful. I could relate to their experience. I'd encourage that we all read the stuff contributed by others, now in the archives. There are gold nuggets hidden in there.

Edits: 02/02/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: update on the Al Sekela tweak - JBen 22:49:34 02/01/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.