Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: update on the Al Sekela tweak

Davey, your "my ears are just as good as yours" sincerely would make me extremely happy for you, even if perception is more than just hearing. However, the sticking point in my mind for years has been that you never allude to core music attributes. I am talking many things that I miss from someone whose system must have been tweaked using great engineering.

Where's the resulting emotional delight about so many things, the moving intricacies, the textural flavors, the soundstage spread detail or the positioning of 3D items on it, and much more? Actually, you hardly ever mention how your system sounds, and then do so on rather dry terms. More to the point, you never mention this kind of thing about ANY music source.

Sure, it is easy to hide it with comments like "Subjective evaluation doesn't trump everything else." Well, you even fail to post an inkling of what your system really measures like acoustically. Imperfect as this would be, it would still be usefully indicative. For someone so averse to subjectivity, this could have provided a "good enough" reference point.

That said, subjectivity -- to me -- is still a very valid value for pragmatic degrees of evaluation. Even on a half-well setup system with Maggies, the perception of recording attributes can be a superb and emotionally moving experience. At times, one may even want to tell others about it. There's nothing wrong with its subjective source, however. By and large, it may be "repeatable subjectivity", shared by many people.

This is better observed in exactly the same place, with the same gear and program material. Yet, it is amazing how despite the universe of variability out there, it all still yields a core set of "enjoyable attributes", perceived in a similar fashion.

Oh, you can be sure I REALLY investigate beyond what I myself hear or perceive; and it is not just by measuring whenever I can.

It is a great experience to see how, for example, 3D imaging can be perceived by friends. You ask them "where is this located"? Most will point to a specific location in width and depth. The location in space will easily vary from person to person but not usually by much. Amusingly, they sometimes are shocked by pointing OUTSIDE the room. This actually happens often enough. It certainly is not my imagination. What would you call it, then? Mass delusion?

Well, additional proof of the validity of this 3D thing comes from other sources; those who DO NOT perceive any localized 3D aural experience. Invariably, so far, they have a lost significant hearing in one ear. [They do enjoy other aspects of the music but "imaging" of any kind and "soundstage" are concepts lost to them.]

This 3D imaging feature is usually enhanced by using the chokes. Since my MMGs have the PLLXO biamp, the bass driver has no xover inductor. Thus, long ago I added chokes to the bass drivers for a better effect. Perhaps, even hopefully, this could help you perceive a stronger effect. You may want to add the 2nd set of chokes, since you biamp as well.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.