Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: update on the Al Sekela tweak

You may now list it on eBay, LOL!

Hey, as long as my late coffee break lasts, here are a few thoughts:
-- While the RC thing did not work for my QR tweeter MMGs, I would encourage testing in your Maggies. Given their extended top I would expect ribbon tweeter Maggies to benefit. It is cheap! BTW, the pink thing is a PRP brand resistor (great choice). The cap looks like a Sonicap Gen 1, quite better than average. (but If you find a couple of Russian Teflon caps of acceptable value, take them off Putin's hands!)

-- As long as Neo is going to make you work harder still :-)) let me burden you with more "to do's". I got "athinking" that those fuses, hmmm, you know... Also, if you have more chokes, try replacing the midrange fuse with a choke. In my case, an extra set of these chokes "unifies" the imaging benefits top-to-bottom.

-- Against my own expectations at the time, I found that Utley's experience mimicked my own. I was a bit mystified back then. The 5522 (thicker guage, same value) worked slighly better than the 5502. I cannot say that it was not my "mental misalignment". Still, I spent a day listening and measuring back in 2010. No measured difference that I could find. However, even with my wife swapping them for a blind-ish comparo, the ears kept choosing the 5522. VERY minor as it was, the difference was in perceived imaging, nothing else. (Not worth ordering extra UNLESS you are about to order more chokes for the midrange.)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.