Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

update on the Al Sekela tweak

Ordered the the late Al Sekela choke tweak about two weeks ago (wow- how time flies) during the wait I tore down my system and moved my amps to the living room where I've been listening to my Gunned MMGs and Triangle Comete's have it out (btw the MMGs took home top prize).

The issue I was having with the MG20 was a bit of 'razor edginess' on the true ribbon tweeter (most likely caused by 'digi-titis').

Having double glass entry doors, a 65" flat screen along with glass doors on my entertainment system obviously doesn't help either but there's nothing I can do about that(other than drape the TV).

I considered room treatments, but before I decided to go down that path I looked at Al Sekela's (RIP) choke tweak in the archives. For $2.50 a piece I figured what the heck.

Once they arrived I inserted them (swapping out the tweeter attenuator). I 'folded' the extra long pins on each end of the choke rather than cut them so the twist-locking tabs could easily find them and have a semi-snug fit. I reassembled my system and then got her up and running. Right off the bat the sound was almost unbearable, sibilance out the wazoo. I thought oh boy this isn't going so well, thoughts like 'did I make a mistake?', 'will my ribbons go up in flames?' etc., danced around in my head..but I decided to hash it out, take it easy on the volume and let them burn-in for a day or two. It didn't even take that long, within a day I immediately notice the extreme edginess was taken away, instrument separation was more prominent and female vocals were simply out of this world. Backgrounds are pitch-black (not to be confused with 'dark' ), violins are sweeter sounding and once again female vocals are captivating- my benchmark "Midnight Sun" by Ella Fitzgerald sounds absolutely stunning.

Is it perfect? (c'mon now; nothing's perfect in this hobby LoL); there's still some sibilance noted especially when cranked up. I'll look at addressing the glass and adding a couple fake fiscus plants in the near future. No it's not perfect, but for $10 bucks (total including shipping) it's one helluva tweak that's taking a step in that direction.

Edits: 01/27/15 01/27/15 01/28/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - update on the Al Sekela tweak - Green Lantern 18:02:09 01/27/15 (43)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.