Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: What is the sweet spot distance on the Magnepan 20.1 when set up properly ?

I would start with positioning them closest to the front wall (furthest away from you) and incrementally move them forward towards you. However in doing so I think you may sacrifice sound-stage depth in order to maintain a decent sweet spot.

My first encounter with 20.1s was back in 2002 at my local dealer. This was my 'Mecca' experience; that presentation convinced me audio nirvana was possible when certain criteria are met. Their setup was pretty much as optimum as one can get ie., perfect room size, room treatment, equipment (a no holds barred system including $25K speaker cables blah, blah). But at the end of the day I feel it all boils down to room size and room treatment.

One of the most appealing aspects of that system setup was the wide sweet spot; in fact I recall moving left and right on the couch without sacrifice. The speaker's position looked typical (perhaps Cardas setup or the 2/3rds rule)...in fact here's the room in question.

in any event they know Maggies and always have a room dedicated to them (this was not the room I auditioned the 20.1s in however).

Granted, I don't get this nirvana experience in my setup, in fact just angling my head can affect the position of the sweet spot, but then again there's just me in the room listening.

*Disclaimer: I have no affiliation nor financial interest with the above business.

Edits: 01/25/15 01/25/15 01/26/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: What is the sweet spot distance on the Magnepan 20.1 when set up properly ? - Green Lantern 06:14:57 01/25/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.