Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: What is the sweet spot distance on the Magnepan 20.1 when set up properly ?

Set them up with the spikes on slider discs and move the speakers around.

If you want a wide sweet spot then move the speakers as far to the sides as the room allows with tweeters inwards. If the room is particularly wide then set them up with the tweeters outwards and appx 32-36" from the sidewalls.

There is a version of the Rooze setup I tried in order to get a wider sweet spot for sofa sitting and it worked. (1) sitting in the right seat I turned the right speaker narrow side front till it was not possible to see its front or back. (2) sitting in the left seat I did the same with the left speaker. (3) I moved the bookcase and plastic drawer tower that the speaker ended up aimed at to clear the wall for a uniform reflection off appx 2.5' of clear wall on either side. (4) moved the sofa forwards and backwards till I found both seats imaging well and sounding about the same. The third seat on the sofa worked well too despite being over 4' from the center. The better part of the seat area behind and in front of the sofa did good imaging.
As always with a Rooze setup the soundstage was truly ginormous. In some recordings it was very impressive, spectacular even, in others it was overdone and was a bit of a caricature of imaging, very exaggerated.

With conventional face forwards with some toe in. There is no particular distance that is perfect, For each distance there is a particular angle of toe in that would work for one seat and you can find a compromise via less toe in that will be OK but not optimal for both seats. In the orchestra you accept that each seat will give you a somewhat different perspective. Try to accepst what you get here too. For as much as it is worth, taking the distance to extremes by moving the sofa to the far back of the room will diminish the differences between the two seat's perspectives..

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.