Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Observations and questions regarding Spectra 22 (long)

I have had the Acoustst Spectra 22 speakers in my 11 X 14 room for about a week now. They replaced Totem Hawks in this room. Amplification is Rogue Audio Stereo 90 (modified) and Audio Research SP14 (modified). Source is J.A. Micheel Orbe turntable, tecnoarm and Lyra Delos cartridge. Interconnects are Kimber Select cooper, speaker cable is Kimber 8TC (older blue/black variety). The front wall has a 60 inch plasma between the speakers, and 4 inch thick 2X4 foot Roxul panels on either side of the TV. After doing much experimentation, the speakers are currently about 38 inches out from the absorption panels, 5 feet between inner edges of the panels, 15 inches from side wall on right side, open area beyond the left speaker.
I have yet to get amazing imaging from these speakers. I think the Totems imaged better. As everyone knows, the Acoustats are very directional and only image at all in the one central sweet spot on my three seat couch. The other two seats sound OK but the image suffers. The couch on the other side near the right speaker is crappy.
So far I like them best for jazz or smaller uncomplicated music. If the music becomes very busy, with lots of different instruments playing (like most rock and roll) the speakers can sound strained and lose there composure. This happens at what I believe are relatively moderate sound pressure levels (I have no way of measuring) and levels which the Hawks (and their 5 3/4 inch woofers) handle with ease. I find the Spectras go down lower in the bass than the Hawks, but the bass is looser.
I read on the net that a guy with Spectra 22 in a small room found them sounding thin and tried to tilt them slightly downward towards his listening position. I tried this with small felt pads at the back of the wooden bases and the sound did get fuller but not sure if it was an improvement.
I am interested in any suggestions to help me get the most out of these speakers. I know they are 28 years old and they appear to be stock, judging from the bazillion staples at the top of the panels. Not sure if the interfaces have been touched.
Now for some nubie questions!
1) There is a switch on the interface to go from full range operation to a 100 hz crossover to sub out binding posts. Can you try this even if you don't have a sub hooked up? Interested to hear the panels with the bass taken off them. My understanding is that most people who use a subwoofer use the crossover in the subwoofer set at a lower crossover point (maybe 50 or 60 hz) I am not interested in more bass, but the sound of the panels with the bass removed.
2) It seems to me that the right speaker is ever so slightly playing lower or less dynamic than the left. I understand that the lower power supply bias can lead to one speaker playing lower than the other. TYU has mentioned many times that bias is one of the keys to the sound of electrostatic speakers. My Spectras are the older version with the captive power cord and no wall wart transformer. Is it possible to adjust bias for this version? How do you measure the bias for these speakers? Can the ultra sonic bias control of latter versions be added?
3) Been thinking of taking down the socks to hear them nude. Too many staples to remove will probably just cut them free. This may make the socks unusable. Do they sound cleaner and image better without the socks?
4) Should I ditch the absorption panels behind the speakers. I tried it briefly and found the sound got more "splashy". I guess I can do more experimentation.
5) I have heard pros and cons about using tube amplification with these speakers. I have a Quad 606 power amp (180 watts into 4 ohms I believe) that I might try out this weekend. On the Hawks, the Rogue amp sounds much better.
6) I will eventually have the interfaces looked at by a technician in my area. Too difficult and time consuming to send them down to Florida. What work should be down as basic maintenance on the interfaces and are there any relatively simple mods that should be done. I would like to insure that all caps and key resistors and diodes are up to date and that bias is correct and the same for each speaker.
That's it for now. I knew this was going to be a journey and there have been some flashes of brilliance so far, but not as many as hoped for. The sonic potential of these speakers is obviously higher than the Hawks. The question is how to get there on a consistent basis. Appreciate any help.
Mendel

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Topic - Observations and questions regarding Spectra 22 (long) - Mendel 08:30:26 01/23/15 (10)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.