Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: New side and rear surrounds - Magnepan, BG, Sunfire?

Josh,

My collection is by no means definitive of what an SACD should be. However, in most of my classical and jazz SACDs, there is no multichannel at all, just increased bitrates and such. The reverb/delay effects you and Norman describe are in my experience almost always added by processing (e.g.: Dolby PLX2 Music). As far as I'm concerned, guys like us have the room ambiance covered by our wonderful planars, which when set up properly envelop us and take us acoustically to the venue, or the venue to us.

On the other hand, listen to a Pink Floyd SACD or BluRay audio, any one of them will do, and you will hear full-range instrumentation and sound effects from all channels. This is used to great effect, IMHO, but is not in any way accurately recreating music. Totally captures that psychedelic vibe of their early works though.

I still need to pick up the new Dream Theater album on SACD to hear what uses they have devised for multichannel.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.