Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

my personal preference is raw wire but-

the key to MMGs (IMO) is that they need some serious juice to fully open up.

I hadn't realized this until just recently.

I been listening to a pair of high efficiency monitors (91db) running off a pair of 100 watt mono tube amps all week and they handled the relatively modest power with ease (extraordinarily in fact).

However, when I switched the tube amps to my pair of Gunned MMGs they appeared flat, shallow, lifeless. I immediately knew what the issue was (lack of current Maggies so desire). So I swapped them out with my Emotiva XPA-1 mono amps (1000 high current watts each (4ohm) and they immediately sprung to life as if they were just zapped with a pair of defibrillators. They bloomed into life with astounding highs, mids and lows. Bass is present, able to reproduce upright acoustic bass convincingly but if you're into techno (which I'm not; well at least not at home) you'll want to get a sub -and not just any sub, one that'll keep up with the fast pace.

*note once I removed the pillows from the rear couch the soundstage opened up even more.

Bottom line: these badboys are incredible.

Edits: 01/21/15 01/21/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.