Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Xo1 for tympani 4

Capacitors only come in limited values. Typically you will only find E-12 values. You can look up the EIA system for passive components (resistors, capacitors and coils). Bottom line - you will not find 6 but can find 5.6 and 6.8. You can also wire two caps in parallel and the values are additive. For example 4.7 and 1.2 will get you 5.9 which is close enough for government work.
As to the calculation C= 1/(2*pi*f*Z) where Z is the input impedance of your amp. So for 400 Hz, 47Kohm, C= 1/(2*pi*400*47000) = 8465 pf. The closest you can get with a single cap is 8200 pf but if you want you could parallel a 4700 with a 3900 pf and get damn close. I have used RTE Rel-caps (2% tolerance) in this application. You can get them from PartsConnexion.
I will not get into a discussion here about using the XO-1 other than to say it's sort of half-ass but not a bad way to get into biamping.

"Our head is round in order to allow our thoughts to change direction." Francis Picabia

Edits: 01/19/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.