Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Enough Current?

I just picked up a brand new in the box Rotel RB-1090 amp. Original owner purchased 2, one for backup, he never used it.

So, I have a pair of Martin Logan CLS IIZ Limited Edition speakers. I purchased them new in 2003. They were the last pair Martin Logan had available, nick of time right? I really have not used these speakers much over the years. In this time they have been sitting in a spare room with covers on them. Now I have the urge to pull them out once again and give a listen.

I wanted some opinions on how well some of you believe the Rotel RB-1090 will drive the CLS? Below is a link to the Stereophile measurements/review.

Something interesting stated in the Stereophile review:

"The RB-1090 also includes overcurrent protection, which operates when the load impedance drops below 2 ohms. Front-panel LEDs—one per channel—indicate the operation of the protection circuitry.

Although the RB-1090's formal specifications state the minimum combined load as 4 ohms, the manual refers to the amplifier's ability to "drive difficult loads with ease, including 2 ohm speakers." When queried about this apparent inconsistency, Mike Bartlett told me that the specifications refer to continuous testing into a fixed resistance; the RB-1090 meets the ETL/UL safety specs at 4 ohms. To produce an amplifier that can handle a 2-ohm resistive load at full continuous power would incur a major cost penalty; arguably, that amplifier would be no better at driving loudspeakers."

I believe the CLS dip to about 1.5ohms in the HF range. This is my worry.

Thanks!!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Topic - Enough Current? - Lt Einhorn 07:21:30 01/18/15 (19)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.