Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: New side and rear surrounds - Magnepan, BG, Sunfire?

Josh,

I'm not sure what exactly happened with my XPA2 on the Tympani. It was over two years ago, but from what I remember the amp would just cut out completely during dynamic transients in classical music and seemingly randomly in all the other over-compressed nonsense I listen to. I believe it went into a protection mode. I couldn't even get it close to reference level.

I called Emotiva and talked to the main guy (can't remember his name at the moment) and it seemed that he wasn't surprised that the amp was having problems with the tympani. After discussing possibilities for a while, like a jackass I just packed it up and sent it back instead of investigating further. As I saw it, I was only interested in driving the Tympani and didn't even think of testing it on one of the 20 other pairs of speakers I have sitting around.

Possibilities as I see it are as follows:
1) The particular amp may just have been a defective unit.
2) I found the midrange fuses on the TIVas to be blown. I'm not sure if this was a cause or effect.
3) This was prior to my installing two dedicated 20a lines. I was previously running the XPA2 on a 15a shared line. However, nothing else (including my dual 1800w subs) has this problem on that line.

Anyway, I now use a Sunfire Signature 600 to drive them and ultimately like the sound better. The Emotiva, while it worked, had a more "forward" and grainy quality to the sound which induced listening fatigue quickly. The Sunfire on voltage source has all the punch but with a smoother overall presentation. The Sunfire on current source sounded close to the more laid back B&K sound that I had been used to.

Now if I had the funds, I might biamp with XPA1 gen2s on the bass and a Pass Labs x250 for the top end. I assume by your post that you agree with my assessment that Emotivas belong on the bass only if possible.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.