Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Interaction with a class D amplifier?

Your setup raises some good questions and, dare I say it, an objective testing opportunity. :)
What is the switching frequency and amplitude level of the Gilmore Raptors? What does the internal filter network look like and how much attenuation of the switching frequency does it provide the load? How much further attenuation of the switching frequency does the extra 10uH inductor provide when you create an L/C/L T-network?

The Maggie tweeter drivers are low inductance and a switching amplifiers switching frequency could easily excite resonances in those drivers. (The ribbon drivers primarily.....probably not so much with the quasi-ribbon drivers.)

In the case of a conventional speaker system (with dome tweeter) there may (or may not) be a local RC Zobel downstream of the crossover network as part of the crossover design. Since a conventional tweeter has high inductance relative to a ribbon driver it effectively functions as its own "choke tweak".....assuming a typical audio band RC Zobel is not used. :)

This brings up the topic (indirectly) of high-resolution audio and whether our playback systems should be able to reproduce harmonics above the normal audio band. With Maggie ribbon tweeters we have a driver that is capable of that, and that begs the question......that if you do believe reproduction capability that high is a good thing, then why would you deliberately roll-off that capability with a series inductor?

Hopefully the RC network will not make any audible difference. In that case, it's probable you didn't have an issue to begin with. And the reverse is true. If it does make an audible difference, it's probable you did have some issue with frequencies above the audio band making it back into your amplifier and interacting with its operation. I hope that concept is clear to everyone.

I'm sorry, but these are the kind of things I think about. :)

Dave.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Interaction with a class D amplifier? - Davey 08:52:15 01/16/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.