Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: the late Al Sekela's choke tweak and True ribbon tweeter

I believe the issue was that the output trannies were undersized and were saturating at high bass levels. It is also possible that the PS was sagging there too. It seems that the firmware from the end of last year has compensated for the problem as the bass has firmed and deepened substantially. As a patch solution we tried out lowering the digital volume level to 70% and raising the level at the preamp. That tightened bass but it seemed to need more, we were going to try 50% digital volume as there was still headroom to do so without losing resolution. I don't know if that was part of what they did with the firmware update.

My magnetics friend and I came to a conclusion that sound is best served if the trannie is never operated beyond 1/3 of its rating and preferably under 1/5th. Subsequently he took his tube preamp's filament power supplies off the mains transformer and gave them a separate power supply. He was over the moon with the resulting improvement in dynamics, tone texture and fine detail as well as imaging.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.