Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: the late Al Sekela's choke tweak and True ribbon tweeter

GL, I am very happy that you are looking into Al Sekela's chokes. It may or may not do good for your system but it certainly is worth exploring, IMHO. Some folks like them very much. Some others don't find them special. No one should find them offensive...hmmm, except Davey, I guess.

For the money, they are a potentially delightful SQ bargain. Tweaking them into your system should be fun, regardless of outcome! Please experiment creatively with them, and share if you discover something.

Both of the two choke models that you list worked the best for me. At first, I tested many many choke models because these two were out of stock everywhere the day I read about Al's chokes back in 2009.

Here are a few lines about their use in my system.

1. One choke per tweeter is minumum for benefits in my system. It enhances imaging AND can help over-brightness and some types of glare. By and large, the chokes in my system will not "cure" all glare, which I took care of in other ways. However, these chokes can make over-brightness sound "proper". Hard to explain in short but I make a distinction between these (glare and brightness).

2. I actually get better SQ mileage (much better, really) by using 4 chokes, one choke per driver. So, by also adding chokes to the mid/bass driver, I get a better integrated 3D imaging and a slightly improved top end. (Watch for changes in 3D solidity and layering.) Top-to-bottom timing helps instrumental textures and also enhances the ability to achieve better slam. In fact, the 4 chokes used in this manner are part of the reason why my MMGs do great slam by themselves. One can measure part of it when looking at the group delay output via the microphone or tracking peaks on microphone-recorded dynamic musical passages. One hears it and one can measure it in some ways, if one really wants to walk that walk.

3. Measurements also reveal that -- contrary to what Davey has said -- the chokes DO AFFECT the audible range. Starting at around 10khz and above, there is gradual though slight attenuation. It can be measured in my MMGs. The interesting thing is that its PERCEPTION is totally different. The enhanced clarity at the top (when all the other tweaks pitch in) makes it possible for the QR tweeter to get scarily close to true-ribbon sweetness, extension and clarity . There is perceived improvement in harmonic integrity at the top. Which, among other benefits, I suspect is what allows "proper over-brightness" to still be enjoyable. So, for example, folks stop hating the sound of very bright brass or string sections because, suddenly, there's natural timbres and sweet harmonic detail to be enjoyed up there.

Even if the chokes only did half as well for true-ribbon Maggies as they can do for QR Maggies, I don't want to hear them...envy would overwhelm me, LOL! Seriously, when Neolith speaks of his experience with Al's tweak ("...had great results with this tweak - noticeable improvement in resolution and imaging...) I can only smile in delight that others are also enjoying this and hope that Al can enjoy this satisfaction to its fullest extent.

Lastly, I lament that Davey has attempted to diminish Al's contributions to our forum and in such a deplorable and tasteless manner. Once again, he tries to use his "engineering prowess" to belittle others. In his misshapen zest to do this, he no only insults but introduces inaccuracy. He certainly makes clear that he never even tried to give Al's ideas a practical chance.

Sorry for Davey but Al Sekela beat him with his common-sense engineering, his experimental approaches and his truly good ears. To boot, Al maintained a sense of propriety, respect for others and decency that we should keep as behavioral examples of higher value than technical prowess.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.