Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Acoustat Spectra 22 in a small room?

I really loved the 2+2, but they are too tall to fit in my basement listening room.

My wife and I had our previous home built and designed a dedicated space in the basement for the music system. I specified no less than an eight foot ceiling in the contract for that very reason. Once complete, I discovered much to my dismay the dumb a$$ contractor didn't follow the builder's instructions. The contractor told me that it would cost more to raise the ceiling. I showed him the contract and pointed out that it wasn't going to cost me a cent to get what I specified.

I accepted a compromise with a trayed ceiling. Here's a shot from 2003:

More recently, I purchased a pair of 1+1s for the garage system. While they require more power and have less bass output than the 2+2s, I find the 1+1s image much better and don't share the head-in-a-vise challenge. And I definitely prefer the line source nature of the stacked models over the side-by-side models (I began with the Model X and upgraded that to Monitor 4s).

I solved the 2+2s imaging issue by moving to Sound Lab U-1s. With their uniform radiation over a 90 degree arc, you can pretty much walk around the room, stand up or sit down and not hear much difference in front of or behind the speakers. They're really spooky in that regard.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.