Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Why does Magnepan get no respect from Wilson and Magico people?

What I love about the Tympanis is that they're a good compromise -- more dynamic and with more bass extension than most planars, more transparent than cones, more musical than horns. They're a great compromise for someone like me who favors acoustical music but also uses the system for rock and films.

But of course they are a compromise, stats being more transparent and cones having more slam and high eff/high SPL studio monitors having a dynamic ease that's missing in the home systems I've heard or owned.

I just don't know of any ideal solution! You can get a quasi ribbon driver to play as loud as you want in the mids and highs, but true ribbons and stats are another matter. Since the limitation with ribbons is metal fatigue, I wonder whether you couldn't do it with a laminated ribbon like those in the later Apogees. The advantage here would be in resonance reduction, otherwise it's essentially a 2" or 3" wide quasi-ribbon. It wouldn't have the purity of a minimal mass all-aluminum ribbon but it would sound better than a quasi-ribbon. Another possibility would be a low-resonance line source stat with a Quad-style time delay to give you a hemispherical wavefront. For bass, an H-frame tower with true pistonic servo woofers. Or the German plane wave setup -- I think the total elimination of room modes would have an advantage over *any* woofer technology. Or -- this has intrigued me ever since I read the proposal -- a *near field* sub with equalization which is possible since when it's near you the response aberrations are minimum phase.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.