Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Why does Magnepan get no respect from Wilson and Magico people?

Well, some people care more about the price than the sound. In fact, Harman did a study that found that people judge expensive-looking speakers to have better sonics when they can see them.

That being said, people have different sonic priorities, depending on the kind of music they prefer, how loud they listen, etc. Maggies and other planars excel in reproducing acoustical instruments with great naturalism. But most people listen to studio pop and if you want gut-thumping bass and a sense of in-your-room presence, dynamics can be a better choice. Or, as Green Lantern says, if you want party speakers that let you walk around the room -- not to mention wife acceptance factor.

I think us planar guys are born rather than made -- the first time we hear them, we know they're magical. And for me, anyway, experience with the sound of live instruments has a lot to do with that, though in my experience everyone is impressed by the planar ability to transport you into another space and disappear.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.