Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Dolby ATMOS and planars?

Without having heard either technology, I would have to say that Atmos with it's discrete overheads seems more preferable to extrapolated height channels in a theater environment, and all reviews I have read of any consequence have stated similar empirical findings.

That being said, my understanding is that since Atmos uses object-based mixing rather than a traditional channel-based processing, the dispersion of dipoles is said to muddy up the image. Since you have a reflected backwave, the increased spaciousness that often comes with dipoles diffuses what will otherwise be a pinpoint 3d image. This should not be as big a deal for extrapolated height channels, as they use a standard mixing process. It's proprietary, so I can only speculate that height channels take summed information from all speakers and extrapolate that to height. Whatever it does, it can probably do with a dipole.

In my experience using an all-Maggie 7.2 HT for Dolby True and DTS Master audio, the imaging is spectacular; well beyond traditional dynamic-driver point-source setups I have heard. I think it would do fine with Atmos with one exception: matching an in-ceiling speaker (which obviously cannot be dipole) to the rest of my dipole setup. Since I believe most of my surround experience is due to the planar drivers rather than the dipole nature of the speakers, my solution is to keep my dipoles for the LCR (no way in hell I am losing my Tympani IVas) and replace my surrounds with an in-wall ribbon such as offered by BG that I can easily match with in-ceiling ribbons from the same brand. You can see a (sort of derailed) discussion in my other recent thread, I think the title has something to do with "BG Sunfire Magnepan surrounds" or something.

Of course this is all theoretical as I have not personally heard Atmos or extrapolated heights, so take it for what it is.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.