Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: New side and rear surrounds - Magnepan, BG, Sunfire?

20.7's. :-)

Seriously, I empathize too. I don't know of a good solution to this. You just aren't going to find something that matches the ribbon highs except another ribbon. And lower down, ditto, you're going to need a planar. And then you're back to big. I can't imagine the BG's, with their cone woofer, would blend, either.

Are you using the surrounds for music or just for film? In the latter case, I think the requirements are significantly relaxed.

Have you considered the MMC-2? It really is designed for this kind of application. It even hides when out of use. The quasi-ribbon tweeter doesn't match the purity of true ribbon highs but it would be a step up from the MMG's, and it's better suited to use on a wall than the floor standers, since the resonances are tuned for it.

Another possibility, if you have time for some elbow grease, would be to cobble something together out of the Mini Maggie satellites and cone dipole woofers. Lots of work, though, and you'd lose that planar midbass. Or you could add true ribbons to the on-walls -- again, a lot of work.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.