Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Yes...yes...yes...

Today I am not running them, but it depends and I would say a fair estimate is that I use them about 95% of the time since getting the i's.

The reason I am not running them today is that last night I shifted back to a tweets in configuration to try to get a little more high energy sparkle. As of this AM I have a fairly standard Limage setup going on at 40% point of the room, panels perfectly flat. This gives more than adequate bass. The DWMs were overkill.

I have tended to run the i's with tweets out, toed in, about two feet from side wall at just under 40% point of room. This has awesome bass -- but is just a tad light without the DWMs and just a tad heavy with them. Always trade off.

The exact configuration of the DWMs depends upon the details of how I am configuring the main speakers. In general I use the recommended set up by running them along the side wall (perpendicular) about 12 inches closer to the listening position than the mains. However, six to twelve inch variance around this can smooth out bass, as can setting one up let's say eight inches closer and the other twenty inches. With the DWMs, you can get really smooth mid and upper bass -- or the antithesis thereof. If you pursue smooth frequency response excessively though, you can screw up other things, such as timing. I always use the resistors and cheap speaker wire to minimize output so the bass doesn't become too thick. Oh, and you can also smooth the bass by placing the panels at different heights. It's kind of cool.

After spending a year and a half with the bass panels in three rooms with two different three series, my summary is that they are great at adding punch if needed from 80 to 300 hz. Extremely noticeable in acoustic bass, cello and drums.

They have never made a lick of difference in the low bass. None. Nada. Zero . Zilch. They don't put out anything of note below 50, nor have I ever noted any synergy of the panels reinforcing the mains. There might be a tiny bit of reinforcement of having the DWMs as wings to the mains, but this violates the requirement that the bass panels be time aligned ahead of mains. Doing so will primarily result in not low bass, but an unlistenable reinforcement of the upper bass and lower Mids (peaks at 160 to 300 hz). I get the same upper bass problems if I try to place the panels freely out away from walls in middle of room.

These are not subs.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.