Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Inventory

What!!!! No love for my DB Systems Pre-Amp????

When I was in the business (shortly after mono records were phased out) I was associated with a regional chain. THE solid state pre-amp was the Mark Levinson. Quiet, detailed, and pricey. Along comes this guy Dave Hadaway from New Hampshire with a hand made preamp in a little silver aluminum hobby box and BOOM!!! All the guys in all the stores lusted after one. Dave went into production and that is the DB Systems Pre-Amp. It held up very well to the Levenson and the Audio Research stuff and was a bargain at the price. It was quite the item. Dave still makes them (along with power amps and switches and MC Pre Pre Amps and such up in NH.

In order to by-amp, I'd need the XO-1 crossover which I don't have. I also would want to know the phase relationship of the dissimilar amps as well as their gain. Plus the MK III's would limit the dynamic range due to their lower power output. Since the high frequency amp drives the tweeter and mid-range from 200 hz up, its wide bandpass compared to the narrow bandpass of the woofer amp means that it should be approximately equal in power to the base amp.

I'll probably try both amps and if the QUAD is as good through the middle and top as I believe it will be, then I'll try to swap my MK III's for another QUAD 909 and bi-amp that way.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.