Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Double Maggies

Last night I moved the extra speakers out of the room and went back to the 3.7i alone set up in the position which I have found optimal out of hundreds of experiments (see above)

I immediately felt something was missing. The single Maggies seemed strained in comparison. Images seemed more two dimensional and thinner. The stage was deep, but the furthest back images were kind of painted on the wall. Subtle instruments seemed buried in the mix and hard panned stereo seemed to come out of the speakers. I could play them plenty loud, but I had to play them much louder to get the same power (if this makes sense).

I then brought the second pair back in, this time bringing them further up (9 feet) and closer in to get the side firing speakers further from the wall. I have up on the T and went back to the L.

The best way to describe (via exaggeration) the difference is imagine going from a mini Maggie to the large Sound Labs. From a mini monitor to the largest Wilson or Focals. There is substantially more power and weight and dimensionality to the instruments and singers. More presence. This is especially prominent on the sounds coming from the edges of the stage (which are produced almost exclusively by one speaker in a conventional set up).

There is no boxiness at all. Absolutely none. Just more weight. More realism. Less transparency (less ephemeral quality) of imaging. It is kind of startling.

No it is not perfect. No I am not sure I will keep it. No I haven't perfected everything yet (I've tried less than a half dozen positions and I am still using 25 feet of thin lamp cord to connect the second pair). No I don't want to give up my second audio room.

On the other hand. I strongly recommend everyone who can try this do so.

The funny thing is that my very first audio speakers were stacked Advents. Thirty Five years later I am listening to stacked Maggies.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.